This is part 1 of our live session series on “Beginning Ruby”. This series is not an introduction to Ruby or programming. Instead, it’s a focused discussion on topics that many people new to programming get tripped up on. To get the most out of this series, you should already have some familarity with basic programming concepts and have been dabbling a bit in Ruby. Those completely new to programming are welcome to watch, but just be aware that you’ll need a little bit of hands on experience first to fully appreciate the discussion.
In this video, we’ll talk about:
- Ruby’s syntactical sugar
- How to determine where code comes from
- Local variable scope
See the entire Beginning Ruby Series
- Part 1 (syntactical sugar, where code comes from, and variable scope)
- Part 2 (pass by reference/value, variables as pointers, method side-effects vs return value)
- Part 3 (Arrays and Hashes, common mistakes when using
map, and the
- Part 4 (a student works through some exercises)
- Part 5 (a student works through some exercises)
- Part 6 (how to debug for beginners)
The below video is Part 1 and lasts about an hour.